Earlier this summer author Marc Grimston went in search of the Dog’s Home, a small stone hut in woods that was a location in The Picts and the Martyrs, the eleventh and last completed book set in the Lakes in the Swallows and Amazons series.
Notoriously challenging to find on the ground, the Dog’s Home is located in woods above Coniston Water, near to where Arthur Ransome lived during the time he wrote the novel.
Marc has kindly provided the following directions (with photos) to help you follow in the footsteps of The Picts and the Martyrs:
1. On the eastern side of Coniston Water go past Bank Ground farm and Brantwood, and park in the Machells Coppice car park.
2. Walk south for ten minutes to the gate.
3. Note the chain across the access to stop cars.
4. Go through the gate and up into the woods.
5. You will walk up a stream just like in The Picts and Martyrs…
6 …until you see the Dog’s Home in front of you.